Thermal Camera Imaging Brought to Your Daily Life, See Things Like Never Before
FLIR has announced a new second generation of their Flir One thermal imaging accessory for smartphones and tablets, making it useable on wider range of devices and adding a version for Android OS as well. Originally the FLIR ONE was compatible with iPhone 5 and 5S only as it was made specifically to fit the form and size of these devices, but the new version comes in totally device independent design. The new FLIR ONE utilizes either a micro-USB connector for Android devices or a Lightning connector for iOS devices to offer a compact accessory that easily connects to a smartphone or tablet. The FLIR ONE is powered by an internal battery and utilizes FLIR’s latest generation Lepton thermal camera core, which features four times the resolution of the previous version. Images are further enhanced with FLIR’s patented multi-spectral dynamic imaging (MSX) technology, which embosses the edge details from FLIR ONE’s visible camera onto the thermal image producing high fidelity images.
Specifications of the new FLIR ONE:
– Scene temperature range: -4°F to 248°F (-20° to 120°C)
– Operating temperature: 32°F to 95°F (0°C to 35°C)
– Weight: 2.75 ounces, 32 grams
– Dimensions: L 2.8 inches (72mm) x W 1 inch (26mm) x H 0.7 inches (18mm)
– Battery capacity: 350 mA/h. FLIR ONE neither consumes power from the connected device battery, nor charges it. When inactive, FLIR automatically switches to low-power mode to maximize its battery life.
– Visible camera: VGA (used for FLIR MSX blending)
– Sensitivity: ability to detect temperature differences as small as 0.18° F (0.1° C)
– Charging method: micro-USB (Android) and lightning connector (Apple) paired with 1A wall charger
– Device compatibility: Android products containing a micro-USB and Apple products containing a lightning connector, including iPhone 6 and 6 plus, among others.
– Included accessory: charging cable (either micro-USB or lightning connector)
– Certifications and standards: Mfi (iOS Only) FCC, CE, RoHS, CAN ICES-3 (B)/NMB-3(B), UL
There are several areas where the new FLIR ONE is better than the first model. You apparently get a more powerful thermal sensor with four times the resolution for crisper and clearer thermal images (160×120 up from 80×60 of the old Lepton sensor). It also features automatic tuning, so there is no need to manually tune the device for optimum temperature detection. There is a new lighter-weight design that is less than a third the weight of the original. Also the temperature range has been increased with another 40 degrees, including support for minus temperatures that can be quite useful at times.
The second generation FLIR ONE comes with with an MSRP of $249.99 USD and should be available worldwide starting July for iOS devices, with the Android-compatible version to available in July. The first generation FLIR ONE for Apple’s iPhone 5/5s platform is now available at a reduced price of $149.99 USD down from the original price of $349.99 USD when it was launched last year.